Friday 6 March 2009

Say yes to "No"

Josh Billings once famously said

"One-half the troubles of this life can be traced to saying yes too quickly..."

and reflecting back, this is certainly something true to my life. I have often found myself worried about doing things, which I could have avoided. I think, my habbit is rooted from my cultural background.

The fact it that people from Indian subcontinent are not used to hearing apologies. So, if someone invites you for dinner, for instance, and you can't make it, it can become really difficult to excuse out of it. People would insist and insist until you agree to what they are asking. The result is that people end up making commitments that they can't meet and people saying things they don't really mean. I, for one, find it frustrating.

No comments: